Members: 6,121   Posts: 26,400   Online: 97
      
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Easley, South Carolina
    Posts
    844
    Images
    4

    QTR and K7 Selenium set for 7600

    Has anyone produced a good QTR profile for making digital negatives with the Piezography K7 selenium set for the Epson 4000 or 7600? I have an Epson 7600 and am thinking of setting it up with the K7 selenium set (plus MSN ink in shade 1 spot) for printing on Pictorico. Looking for any advice from people who may be using this combination for making digital negatives.

    Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 10-01-2010 at 11:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Don Bryant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Has anyone produced a good QTR profile for making digital negatives with the Piezography K7 selenium set for the Epson 4000 or 7600? I have an Epson 7600 and am thinking of setting it up with the K7 selenium set (plus MSN ink in shade 1 spot) for printing on Pictorico. Looking for any advice from people who may be using this combination for making digital negatives.

    Sandy King
    Sandy,

    The Digital Black & White list on Yahoo will be the best place to pose your question, IMO. They are an old and veneralble group of monochrome digital practitioners such as Tyler Boley and Jon Cone, just to name two names.

    Don

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    516
    Dear Sandy,

    I was using the first version / old Piezography Selenium tone inkset with Pictorico and Ultrafine Crystal Clear media years ago. The inks were very fragile (and sometimes transfer onto the coated paper) on both of these transparencies. They were fine otherwise. Test before committing!

    Regards,
    Loris.

  4. #4
    Don Bryant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    Dear Sandy,

    I was using the first version / old Piezography Selenium tone inkset with Pictorico and Ultrafine Crystal Clear media years ago. The inks were very fragile (and sometimes transfer onto the coated paper) on both of these transparencies. They were fine otherwise. Test before committing!

    Regards,
    Loris.
    Loris,

    Jon Cone addressed this issue on the Large Format Photography Forum recently. Their ink formulation has changed and Jon addressed to Sandy what ink combo to use for transparencies and ink jet prints, hence the Selenium inkset.

    Don

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Easley, South Carolina
    Posts
    844
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Bryant View Post
    Loris,

    Jon Cone addressed this issue on the Large Format Photography Forum recently. Their ink formulation has changed and Jon addressed to Sandy what ink combo to use for transparencies and ink jet prints, hence the Selenium inkset.

    Don
    That is correct, and a fellow named Paul at Renaissance Press is using this set with an Epson 7800 to make negatives (or positives I guess it would be?) for photogravure work. The K7 selenium set is generally sold is for printing on matte papers, but for printing on film Jon Cone recommends using a black they call MSN in position one in place of the regular shade one ink.

    I am pretty sure it will not be all that difficult to create a good profile for carbon printing. Profiles already exist that print with good linearity on specific media, but not on Pictorico.

    Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 10-01-2010 at 03:24 PM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    516
    Wow, that's niceee! I'll be thinking about K7 selenium inkset if I ever obtain a printer that is capable of using it then...

    Regards,
    Loris.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Easley, South Carolina
    Posts
    844
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Bryant View Post
    Sandy,

    The Digital Black & White list on Yahoo will be the best place to pose your question, IMO. They are an old and veneralble group of monochrome digital practitioners such as Tyler Boley and Jon Cone, just to name two names.

    Don
    Tyler Boley has a great reputation for inkjet printing but so far as I know he never worked with digital negatives. I had a good exchange of pms with Jon Cone that was very helpful, but he does not have profiles for Pictorico for the 7600. He suggested that I could take the master profile for the 4000, which has the same ink set, and adjust it for the 7600. I don't think this will be too difficult, especially now that I understand the role of gama adjustment, thanks to Ron and Clay.

    Sandy

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY.
    Posts
    193
    That's pretty interesting news. I like the concept of a digital neg printer with a largely monochrome inkset. I ran an 1800 that way for a while with hand filled cartridges using mixed Epson blacks and yellow. Worked pretty well but hard to keep the mixtures consistent.

    Do you think the 7600 will hack it, Sandy? I was under the impression that people had found that generation of printers too prone to banding? Nice if it works as they are cheap and indestructible.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Easley, South Carolina
    Posts
    844
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Altman View Post
    That's pretty interesting news. I like the concept of a digital neg printer with a largely monochrome inkset. I ran an 1800 that way for a while with hand filled cartridges using mixed Epson blacks and yellow. Worked pretty well but hard to keep the mixtures consistent.

    Do you think the 7600 will hack it, Sandy? I was under the impression that people had found that generation of printers too prone to banding? Nice if it works as they are cheap and indestructible.
    Ben,

    The attraction of Piezography for digital negatives is based on the fact that one gets higher resolution in printing in monochrome with the Piezography inks that uses seven shades of black than with color inks. At one time I owned an Epson 2200 and verified this for myself with a K7 Piezography set, though unfortunately it did not work for my digital negatives b because the inks did not stick well to Pictorico and other OHPs.

    There is a good probability that the banding issue with that generation of printers, which included the 2200, 4000, 7600 and 9600, will be eliminated with the use of seven shades of black. But even if banding is not entirely eliminated I tend to print images in carbon transfer that don't show the artifacts of banding. For example, the type of image that works best for me in carbon is one that has an abundance of texture and detail and avoids large areas of smooth tonal values. I made many very nice carbon prints from negatives from the Epson 2200 by choice of image, even though the printer did produce banding in there were even tonal areas of very high Dmax on the negative.

    In any event this is not much of a risk for me as the cost of the printer and setting it up with the Piezography set worked out to be less than the price of a new Epson 3880, and I can always use it to make high quality matte inkjet prints up to twenty-four inches wide!!

    Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 10-02-2010 at 12:09 PM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    286
    I've wanted to do something like this for a while, but with a second 3880 and the warm neutral K7 inks. The $300 rebate on the 3880 goes a ways in covering the 4oz K7 set, but still just too steep right now. Anyway, really looking forward to hearing how it works out for you, I hadn't thought of trying an older printer model.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
 

 
DPUG.ORG is a division of Photocentric Ltd.  |   All Content Copyright 2011 Photocentric Ltd.
Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  |   Search  |  Mobile     Facebook     Twitter     Linkedin     RSS